I have taught my children from a very early age--letters & numbers, reading, writing, math, science, art, manners, respect for self, respect for others, rules and the like. This foundation is coupled of course with Biblical instruction, Christian living, love for Jesus, Creationism, character, purity, etc.
No pre-schools, no daycare, no church nursery, barely even babysitting by their more-than-willing grandparents! I've never been a mother who is ready to leave my kids with others, get them out of the house or rejoice because "I'm down to one at home" (as many suggest I do). It breaks my heart when the school year starts. But at the age of 5, off to school they've gone. I am not convinced that this is the only option I have, nor do I argue that it is the best one. Still, it is the truth of my reality.
A bit of background information. . . .
I have entered a place in my role as a Christian wife and mother where I am content and comfortable in an area so clearly defined by God. It has taken a while. But guess what? I am unapologetically a homemaker, trying to glorify God, honor my husband, and raise my children! I am so appreciative that God has given me these roles, but I still have a lot to learn. I feel very passionately about a woman's place in the home and the importance of it. I am wondering how homeschooling may or may not fit in for my family.
In my parents' home, growing up, homeschooling was not an option. Unfortunately, there weren't always positive attitudes in their home or in my community toward homeschooling. I will not repeat those attitudes or the things said, because I think there was a level of ignorance (lacking true knowledge/understanding of homeschooling) and insensitivity.
At any rate, I took on these ideas as a child and it wasn't until I had my own children that I began to change my perspectives--different perspectives on things like husbands and wives, mothering, training children, submission to my wonderful Husband, staying at home, and glorifying God in the repetition these roles bring. I see many reasons for and conveniences of homeschooling.
{Side note: I know that I have a tendency to want my kids to forever cling to me, to be smothered by my mothering and doting, and to stay dependent on me. . .which is unrealistic. I have to raise them to depend on God, and to be what He has called them to be, learning to let go when my "smothering" is hindering their progress. In that regard, would I be fair to them as a homeschooling mom?}
What does God's Word say about it? As I go on seeking the Lord, and discussing the topic with Husband, I just wanted to open up a dialogue about the subject. I am interested in hearing from Christian, homeschooling mothers and non-homeschooling, Christian mothers. Please feel free to share. What are your thoughts and Biblical perspectives?
I am not arguing for or against, just seeking. . .
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar