Selasa, 21 September 2010

"Bug" the Turtle










My son and I went to our local Nature Center for a class on Tortoises and Turtles. We both had a good time and I must say I learned way more than I ever thought I would about turtles.




Did you know that a turtle's shell is covered in scales? The pretty pattern we see is actually made up of individual scales that can be peeled off to reveal the bone underneath! (Not that I recommend doing that, though!) Who knew?! Anyway, no need to bore you with all of my new found turtle facts!











However, I did want to share a very simple craft--making a paper turtle. J.R. had fun making this craft and he named his turtle "Bug." :o)  You probably already have everything you need to get started.





J.R. and "Bug"




 Materials:



  • paper plate

  • green construction paper

  • tissue paper (green, brown, cream)

  • glue stick

  • crayons

  • "googly" eyes (optional)






Instructions:


  1. using the construction paper, cut out a head (large oval), 4 legs (small ovals), and a tail (triangle)

  2. glue them to the under side of the paper plate (the turtle shell)

  3. cut the tissue paper into medium-sized squares (the shell scales) and glue them to the top side of the paper plate

  4. glue "googly" eyes on the turtle head (or draw eyes)

  5. draw on a nose and mouth





Tips:


  • glue tissue paper on in a random order or create a pretty pattern

  • use different color combinations for the turtle scales just for fun (i.e. girls might like a pink and purple turtle) 

  • instead of cutting tissue paper in squares, let the children rip into pieces (keeps them involved, good task for younger children)







HAPPY TURTLE MAKING!


















0 komentar:

Posting Komentar